Home Section B - Sports Senior Night Win for Volleyball

Senior Night Win for Volleyball

104
0

staff writer

Senior Night for the girls Volleyball team was Saturday, Oct. 16. Emily Martin and Maggie Wagner were recognized during the occasion. The team gave Roanoke College two wins against Mary Baldwin and Averett making their record 20-5.

“It was an exciting and fun game against Averett and all the coaches and players did a really great job of making me and Emily feel special that day,” Wagner said.

It was a special night for the two ladies but also for the head coach, Blair Trail, and RC history with a 20-win season in four years consecutively. The team claimed the victory against Mary Baldwin with a straight set win with the scores of 25-14, 25-25, and 25-9; and once again with Averett with another straight set win with the scores of 25-21, 25-21, and 25-19. Despite their determined relentlessness, earlier this season the team lost to Averett 2-3.

“If I could say one thing about volleyball it would be how much fun it is to play when you have a great team and good competition. I wish that more people would come out and support the team because it’s such an exciting and fun sport to watch,” Wagner said.

“This season has been a little different because as a senior I’m one of the captains of my team so I have tried to really step up and be a leader more than ever this year. Our team has a tremendous amount of talent and I can see them having another successful season next year. Our coach motivates everyone to work hard and push themselves and I know they’ll keep it up,” Wagner said.

The team will be playing against Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk on Thursday, Oct. 28 and again in the ODAC Championship at Hollins University on Friday, Nov. 5. Come out and support the team for their hard work!