Home Section B - Sports Cross Country Has Strong Showing in ODAC Championships

Cross Country Has Strong Showing in ODAC Championships

33
0

Staff Writer

Last Saturday the Maroons finished with a good race when they competed in the ODAC Championships at Randolph College. The women finished fourth with 88 points and the men came in fifth with 122 points.

The women were led by all-conference runners Maggie Moore ’11 who finished 9th with a time of 24:10, followed closely by Lauren Kennedy ’14 who placed 13th at 24:30. 

Other women runners to note in that race are Emily Reichenbach ’13 who crossed the finish line with a time of 24:40 and placed 16th. Stephanie Spickard ‘12 finished 21st and Janelle Hollister ’12 placed 29th behind her.

On the men’s team, Andrew Bernstein ‘14 led with a 16thplace finish and a time of 27:43. Teammates Austin Grubb ’14 and Drew Nichols ‘13 finished together with a time of 28:03, taking 25th and 26th places. Josh Metz ’12 was close behind them with a time of 28:11, rewarding him with 29th place.

“We have really strong freshmen runners who have had an immediate impact on our team. Three of them are running in our top seven, which is an exciting thing as a freshman,” Moore said.

Moore has been leading her team all season, coming in first for the team six of seven races.

“I’m honored to be a team leader because it means that both my coaches and my teammates trust and have faith in me,” Moore said.

Both teams will compete in the NCAA Southeast Regional meet in Memphis, TN next Saturday, Nov. 13.

“I feel confident in the workouts we’ve done as a team. Of course, I’m nervous but I think that we’ll end the season on a good note with a strong showing at Regional’s,” Moore said.