The Roanoke College Hall of Fame will grow Friday night as three alumnae will be inducted.
Two of the inductees played on the ODAC Champion softball team in 2001.Â Pitcher Amy Layman ’01 finished her senior season with a record of 22-6 and a 0.98 era.Â She was a three-time ODAC Player of the Year, the only person to ever achieve this feat, and was named a First-team All-American as well as RC’s Female Athlete of the Year in 2001.
Layman will be inducted alongside her teammate Holly Morris ’01.Â Morris hit .453 in her senior season, stole 18 bases and had a .966 fielding percentage. She still holds softball hitting records to this day in batting average, on base percentage, doubles and triples. She started in every game played at RC, was a four-time First-team All-ODAC selection and a two-time Second-Team All-American.
In Morris’ and Layman’s four years playing together at RC they won four-straight ODAC championships and twice made it to the College World Series.
The third inductee will be RC’s first individual National Champion, cross country and track standout Casey Smith ’01. Â Smith won the outdoor track 10,000 meter race NCAA championship in 2001.Â There are still RC as well as ODAC records that Smith still holds, including the 3000 meter and 5000 meter runs.
The induction ceremony will take place in the Wortmann Ballroom Friday night at 7 p.m.
- Roanoke College Welcomes Students with a Splash
- Pack the House Tailgate
- Cregger Center in Progress!
- Fintel Library Remodeling
- New Staff Members at Roanoke College
- New Additions to Campus Recreation
- Catholic Campus Ministries Pursues ‘Life to the Fullest’
- Elderberry’s is Now Fruitions
- 49 Ways to Use a Newspaper
- The Giver Review
- Dear Sue: “Sophomore Slump”
- RC Interfaith Council Hosts Better Together Day
- Student Spotlight: Darlene Harris Puts on Spring Awakening
- Roanoke Jazz and Wind Ensemble Concert
- Experiential Learning Showcase by Emily Geno