Home Section C - Entertainment Regis and Kelly say good-bye

Regis and Kelly say good-bye

93
0

Morgan Minyard

Staff writer

Regis Philbin, 79, has been hosting popular morning television talk shows for about twenty eight years. On January 18, 2011 Philbin announced that he would be leaving the popular talk show Live with Regis and Kelly once his contract expired.

“I’ve got one of those announcements to make today. I don’t want to alarm anybody, but I have to tell you this because it’s going to happen. This will be my last year on the show. It has been 28 years, what a thrill this has all been, and what fun we’ve had.” Philbin continued, “There is a time when everything must come to an end for people on camera. Especially for certain old people.”

Just recently Philbin officially announced that his last show will be on November 18, 2011.

Producers say that Live will continue with Kelly Ripa, but a new co-host has not yet been announced. It has been said that the show will temporarily be renamed Live with Kelly until the producers find a new permanent person to co-host with Ripa. The producers also announced that they expect to have a new co-host between Febuarary and May 2012.

Although Ripa is excited to continue on with the show she will surely miss her old co-host Regis.

“I can only speak for America when I say it has been a pleasure and a privilege and a dream come true, and I wish I could do something to make you change your mind,” said Ripa.

“I love watching Live with Regis and Kelly, they are hilarious! It’s very said that Regis is leaving. I don’t think the show will be the same without him. I know my mornings won’t be the same without him,” said one RC Freshmen.

The first fill in co-host viewers can expect to see on the show will be Jerry Seinfeld. It is said that he will appear on the show with Kelly Ripa from November 21-23.

“Jerry is a great friend of ours, and a friend of Kelly’s, and it doesn’t hurt that he’s an entertainment icon,” Michael Gelman, executive producer of “Live!”, said. “It’s a great way to kick off the new beginning of our show.”

As of right now audiences across the country wait in anticipation to see what direction the show will go in once Regis walks off the stage on Friday, November 18, and new co-hosts try to fill his shoes.