Home Section A - News Liquor ad ban

Liquor ad ban

59
0

Lauren Halbeisen

Staff writer

On November 4, 2011, the Virginia Supreme Court wanted to ban alcohol ads at Virginia Tech and UVA’s newspaper.  The Roanoke Times says, “A Virginia Supreme Court ruling likely will prohibit liquor ads in the student newspapers at Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia

State regulations bar advertising of beer, wine and mixed drinks in college student publications except in ads for restaurants. But the student newspapers at Tech and U.Va. claimed the restriction doesn’t apply to them because at least half their readers are 21 or older.

A lawsuit filed by the papers in 2006 prompted a federal judge to ask the Virginia Supreme Court to clarify how college newspapers are defined for the purpose of state Alcoholic Beverage Control regulations. The justices said Friday that the definition can include papers with a majority of readers 21 and older if those publications are intended primarily for a younger audience.”

Roanoke College students had their input about what alcohol ads do.

“I don’t think alcohol ads would be detrimental because if a student already drinks they’re going to keep drinking or if a student is against drinking they’re going to continue to not drink. I don’t think it would cause more students to start drinking because like I said above, if they do they do, or if they don’t they don’t. It may influence a very small number but those ads are no different than the ones we see on TV on a daily basis,” Angie Foreman ’14 said.

Another student had the same idea.

“I don’t think it does. I think people chose to drink because of it being advertised in movies and TV and stuff and use it because they think it’s cool or whatever. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say, ‘dude did you see that ad in the paper? I totally want to try some of that drink,'” Mary Lambert ’14 said.

This is just some of what RC students have to say about alcohol ads and if it is detrimental or not to students.