Home Section B - Sports Indoor track and field

Indoor track and field

59
0

Maggie Christ

Staff writer

RC’s Indoor Track and Field teams started the semester on a high note, recording nine in first place and eight in second place finishes at the Marietta College Open.  Nine schools competed in this meet on Saturday.

Women had a successful day with Hope Flomo ’15 finishing first in the 55m dash.  She is currently ranked 37th in the nation.  Esther Prempeh ’15 ran a great race, finishing second just behind Flomo.  Flomo finished second in the 300m dash, followed by teammate Jessica Mejia ’15 in third.

Two-time ODAC Runner of the Week, Carmen Graves ’14 finished first in the 500m dash with a time of 1:18 a full 3.5 seconds ahead of her closest competition. Graves took first place in the long jump, too.

“I try to set small goals throughout the season and one large goal that I think I have no chance of achieving.  I believe I have not reached my full potential yet and there is always someone out there faster and stronger,” Graves said. “There is always room for self-improvement and I’m not ready to settle for where I’m at now.”

Megan Tolley ’12 won the Maroons another first-place with an impressive leap in the triple jump and Brittany Cornett ’12 placed second in the competition.  Tolley finished third in the 55m hurdles just behind Sarah Witt ’12.

“Samantha Clowser ’13 was fourth in the women’s weight throw.  She threw consistently over 39 feet with all her throws and had a best throw of 41’–close to a personal best,” Head Coach Finn Pincus said.

Also on the women’s team, Leigh Schimmoeller ’15 ran the 3000m race, earning first place.  Gabrielle Giersch ’14 fought for the lead in high jump, earning the team its sixth first-place finish.

“[Schimmoeller’s] first college victory! And Anna Noble ’13 set a personal best at 22:54 in the 5000,” Pincus said.

Colton Linton ’13 led the Maroons, taking first in the 300m dash just ahead of Tucker Cunningham ’13 and Chase Board ’14 in third and fourth places respectively.  Cunningham took first in the 55m hurdles later that day.

In the 500m dash, Caleb Bledsoe ’15 finished first and Board took another top spot, earning third place in that race.  Tim Smith ’12 kept up the team’s momentum with a second-place finish in the 5000m race.  AJ Bernstein ’14 took second in his first one-mile race of the season with a time of 4:32.

On Friday and Saturday, seven Maroons will venture to the Virginia Tech Invitation in Blacksburg. Flomo, Graves, Witt, Prempeh, Linton, Cunningham and Jed Curtis ’13 will take on the well-attended and highly competitive meet.

“This meet is mostly DI schools competing and makes for a high-level meet,” Assistant Coach Carl Blickle said.

This year, the women are striving to take the ODAC Championship, Blickle explained.

“Last year we fell short of first place at the indoor ODAC championships,” Graves said. “This year the goal is to win ODACs and I believe we have the talent to achieve this goal, especially with the potential I’ve seen so far at practice and at the first meets.”

The whole team will be back in action on Jan. 27 at the Liberty University Invitational in Lynchburg.