Home Section B - Sports Men’s and women’s basketball head to season’s end

Men’s and women’s basketball head to season’s end


Morgan Minyard

Staff writer

Last Saturday, the women’s basketball team hosted the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins. The Marlins came into the game ranked number one in the ODAC.

The Maroons were able to take the lead early. They led 14-7 within the first 10 minutes of the game, however would not be able to hold onto the lead by halftime though. The Marlins were able to go on an 11-3 run and enter the locker rooms up 28-25.

After half time the two teams returned to the court and battled it out. Both teams were very well matched and traded baskets back and forth. Kayla Lemke ’15 was able to hit two free throws which would give the Maroons their first lead of the second half, 45-43.

With only five minutes of the game left to play the Marlins hit a free throw to tie the game 54-54. After that the Maroons went on a 7-4 run, which allowed them to win the game. The Marlins tried to rally back, but were unsuccessful.

The final score was 63-58.  Overall, the Maroons outshot the Marlins and led them in rebounds. Paxton Gwin ’14 led the Maroons with 25 points in the game along with 9 rebounds. With this win the Maroons ended their regular season 8-16 and 8-12 in the ODAC, and secured the seventh place slot in the ODAC Tournament.

The Maroons kicked off the ODAC Tournament on Thursday against the second seeded team Eastern Mennonite at the Salem Civic Center. Results were too late for publication.

On the other side of basketball, the men’s team travelled to Bridgewater, Virginia on Saturday to face their ODAC rivals the Bridgewater College Eagles.

The Maroons were in control of the entire first half of the game. They went into the locker room at halftime on top 39-28. Freshman forward Daniel Eacho ‘15 led the Maroons in the first half with 16 points.


When it was time for the second half of the game, it was Senior Logan Singleton ‘12 who started the second half off right for the Maroons, scoring a three pointer allowing the Maroons to lengthen their lead against the Eagles by 14 points.


By the end of the game the Eagles began to rally when they made two free throws, making the score 71-67 with only 3:23 left on the clock to play.


With only 2:23 left on the clock Zach Barrett ’13 hit a pair of foul shots for the Maroons, but that was not enough to stop the Eagle’s from rallying. Ronnie Thomas for the Eagles was able to knock down a shot from the Maroons and score for the Eagles making the score 73-70.


With only a few seconds left in the game it was Singleton ’12 in his last regular season game as a Maroon, who knocked down two free throws and scored a layup to give the Maroons a five point lead. Singleton ’12 scored 19 points in the game and had 13 rebounds and blocked two shots. Right behind him was Kwasi Amponsah ’13 scoring 13 points.


The final score of the game was 80-73. The Maroons ended their regular season with a 7-18 record and 3-13 in the ODAC.


They fell to Randolph College 69-62 in the first round of the ODAC tournament.