RC baseball improves record

Maggie Christ

Staff writer

Roanoke College Baseball improved their record this weekend dominating the doubleheader against University of Maine-Presque Isle on Saturday.  While they fell to Ferrum College on Friday, it was not enough to discourage their performance the following day.

With a 9-5 and a 7-1 win on their home field in Salem, the Maroons improved to 2-5, getting their first two wins of the new season.

The Presque Isle Owls held the Maroons off at first, each team kept on each other’s toes, not allowing a clear leader.  The fourth inning ended in a 5-3 lead for the Owls.  But Roanoke could not be intimidated and they came back for an impressive win.

Dalton Lipes ’13 and Brian Kluge ‘15 offered two hits and Caylen Baire ’13 lead the team with a hit of his own, one run and two RBIs.  Pitcher Dalton Altizer ’15 took the win as a relief. He had five strikes and only allowed one hit.

“These were the big wins we needed as a team to build our momentum around in order to rebound from the four game losing streak as well,” Altizer said.

Game two started off as uneventful with a one-all tie in the third inning.  However, things changed in the fourth with the Maroons bringing in four runs.  They sealed the deal with two more runs in the sixth.

Leading this second game with two hits apiece were Chad Hill ’15 and Bradley Mattox ’14.  Ben Amos ’15 not only had a base hit but added two RBIs, stole a base and crossed home plate himself.  Kluge had two runs as well.

Jacob McMillian ’14 claimed his first win with three strike-outs and only one run.

Baire explains the team finds their strength in their “ability to play exceptional defense and make all the routine plays”.

The Maroons held on to that energy on Tuesday when they traveled to Bristol, Virginia for another doubleheader.  They beat Virginia Intermont College 14-10 in game one and scraped by with a 7-6 win for game two.  That brings the Maroons to a 4-5 record this year.

“Personally, these wins indicate to me that I am doing my job and role and I am helping out my team to the best of my abilities,” Baire said. “I think these wins were instrumental in getting us going in the right direction and obtaining a positive attitude moving forward.”

Roanoke will be back in action on Saturday at the Salem Kiwanis Field against Alvernia University at 12pm.

“As a relief pitcher, I have got to stay motivated throughout the entire day, or week for that matter, because I never know when I will be called in to pitch. I just have to be mentally ready at all times, and pay attention to every batter in the game to figure out their weaknesses, in case I do pitch,” Altizer said. “It’s not really a need for motivation though; it’s baseball. It’s the game I love.”