Home Section C - Entertainment Review: “This Means War”

Review: “This Means War”

78
0

Maggie Christ

Staff writer

The new romantic comedy “This Means War” hit theaters last Friday making $17.4 million and coming in as the fifth most popular movie for the weekend.

While you may think it falls in the ‘totally predictable romantic comedy’ genre that is no reason to miss “This Means War”.  I won’t go so far as to say that you are wrong in your assumption, but every minute of this two-hour long film is hilarious and fun.

Reese Witherspoon plays the adorable ‘prize’ of the battle between Chris Pine and Tom Hardy.  Pine and Hardy are two undercover FBI agents and best friends for life.  Hardy, with his to-die-for British accent, becomes even more attractive (is that possible?) in his role as Tuck, the honest, in-it-for-the-long-haul guy. He balances out the ever-charming, ladies’ man FDR (Pine). Yes, I think his name is stupid, too.

Despite the predictable feel of this hilarious struggle of testosterone, you will not have wasted your time. Chelsea Handler takes on the role of Lauren Scott’s (Witherspoon) best friend.  She is still her witty self, but takes on the surprising role of the loving wife and mother. She is supportive but shocking in her advice for Lauren.

I cannot say I was thrilled with Lauren’s final choice in her man (I’m giving that much away; she does finally make some sort of choice), but I do think the ‘getting there’ is the best part.  Plus, the writers found an agreeable, if not too easy, way of sorting out everyone’s happy ending.

According to the film critics at Rottentomatoes.com, gave it a 25% on its Tomatometer but the audience poll displays a 72% satisfaction.

For those interested in the finer details, Witherspoon and her costume designers are just brilliant in this movie.  Depending on your preference, you are sure to find yourself lusting after either her or her wardrobe or maybe both.  I will not hesitate to say she found a way to be charming in both her character and her clothes, no matter if the occasion was a quick lunch out or a paintball war.