Staff Writer/Business Manager
Two hours away from home, on a cold Saturday morning, the Roanoke College Maroons took on Hampden-Sydney’s Tigers at their turf in Farmville, VA. While the air was brisk, the battle was red hot as the Maroons came out on top with a 21-13 victory over their opponents. With that win the Maroons move ahead in the ranks to 5-3 overall, 1-1 in the ODAC.
Two Roanoke College athletes, Brayden Gerrie and Joey Coretti led most of the first quarter in goals to bring the score 8-3 by the end of the first. By the end of the first half however the Tigers got in to the groove, controlling most of the 2nd quarter bringing the deficit 9-5.
After the second half was a different story however. Things started to look promising for the Tigers when they scored 4 unanswered goals near the end of the fourth but the Maroons were not done yet. Richard Lachlan put the brakes on the Tiger’s scoring spree with his goal twenty four seconds later. After that the Maroons scored three times in less than a minute to end the Tiger’s hopes of winning the game.
Some of the key players for the game included Jeff Keating, who led the Maroons with three goals and three assists. Max Satossky was also essential, who collected 11 groundballs and won 19-of-32 face-offs.Â Mike Hardon made 15 saves in the goal to earn him a win for the Maroons.
Not a major victory in Thursday’s game, but still a win, the Maroons at home won over Christopher Newport 16-5 in Non-Conference action.Â By the first quarter the score was 8-0 and the Maroons never looked back as they outscored, outran, and out-saved their opponents to improve to 13th in the nation.
Much like the previous game the stars for the Maroons included familiar names such as Joey Coretti, who performed a season best with six goals, one assist, Mike Hardon, who stopped 13 shots earning his second win as goalie for the Maroons and Jeff Keating, who scored three points on the night.Â The Maroons improved to 6-3 on this season.
The men will go to Virginia Beach Saturday, March 31, to take on Virginia Wesleyan.
- Flashback Friday: 90th Anniversary of Macy’s Day Parade
- Roanoke College Celebrates Founder’s Day
- The Sexperts: “Home for the Holidays”
- African Student Showcase
- R-Glow: A Tribal Rave Experience
- Open Mic Night in Cavern
- “Clearly You Crystals” RCAD
- Dear Sue: “Sick Sally”
- Holiday Movie Preview: Who Will Control The Box Office?
- R-Glow Preview
- Dr. Michele Lise Presents Witchcraze: Exploring Violent Responses to Wise Women through the Ages
- President’s Ball in the Big Easy
- Roanoke Honors Veterans on Veteran’s Day
- Shack Attack: Students Raise Money for Habitat for Humanity
- Take Back The Night: A Fight Against Domestic Violence