Editor in Chief
Virginia Intermont Cobras welcomed the Lady Maroons March 27th for a non-conference double header. After the affair the Maroons record stands at 14-4 overall while the Cobras are 14-18. The first game fell in favor of the Lady Cobras as they pulled out a 6-3 win after scoring five runs in the bottom of the fifth inning.
A double by Leona Rainey and a single by Alea Bier gained the Maroons a lead in the third inning which was added to in the fourth inning by Caitling Manuel who singled to send Stephanie Clark from first to third. She scored on the same play after VI’s Amber Palmer tried to get Manuel out as she advanced to second. Clark reached the plate just ahead of Samantha Perry-Shifflett’s throw to score the run. Another run was added when Katherine Kouri sent a sac fly to the outfield to score Manuel.
However, the Cobras battled back in the fifth scoring two runs before Samantha Perry-Shifflett crushed a homer to left field to give her team a 5 to 3 advantage over the Maroons. VIC scored once more in the sixth after a double by Krystle Brenneman scored Chelsea Forney from first base.
The opener may have gone in the Lady Cobra’s favor but, game two belonged to the Lady Maroons.
In the first inning alone the Lady Maroons racked up eight points adding another two runs in the second and third. The Cobras remained hitless until the third inning but, were no match for RC.
Rhea Schleicher belted two home runs and ended the game with a total six RBI. Rainey collected two hits while scoring three times and stealing a career-best four bases. Felice Lowery had three hits, including a double and a home run with three RBI and two runs scored.
Freshman Meredith O’Connell went 3-for-3 while Clark was 2-for-3 with two RBI and three runs scored. Kouri went 2-for-3 to pace the Maroons in the landslide victory. The women will return to action on Saturday, March 31 as they travel to Virginia Beach to battle Virginia Wesleyan in a big ODAC doubleheader. Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
- Roanoke College Welcomes Students with a Splash
- Pack the House Tailgate
- Cregger Center in Progress!
- Fintel Library Remodeling
- New Staff Members at Roanoke College
- New Additions to Campus Recreation
- Catholic Campus Ministries Pursues ‘Life to the Fullest’
- Elderberry’s is Now Fruitions
- 49 Ways to Use a Newspaper
- The Giver Review
- Dear Sue: “Sophomore Slump”
- RC Interfaith Council Hosts Better Together Day
- Student Spotlight: Darlene Harris Puts on Spring Awakening
- Roanoke Jazz and Wind Ensemble Concert
- Experiential Learning Showcase by Emily Geno