Both the Men and Women’s Tennis teams won against the Marlins of Virginia Wesleyan College when they travelled to Lexington Wednesday, April 4.
It was a tight match for the Men’s team, but in the end, they pulled out with a 5-4 win.Â This win improves their record to 4-9 overall and 3-3 among the ODAC teams and dropping the Marlins down to 8-8 overall and 1-6 in the ODAC.Â This win also is the beginning to RC’s first streak of the season.
In the singles competitions, both teams took three wins.Â James Lee ’13 won with scores of 6-4, 3-6, and 7-5, improving his record to 4-8 for the season.Â Chris Migliarese ’14 took his match with a 6-1, 6-4 win.Â Also, Ian Webster ’14 defeated his opponent with a 7-5, 6-3 win.
In the doubles competitions, the first two matches were split; the Marlins took one, RC won the other.Â In the third seat, Roanoke took the lead overall that brought them to victory.Â The final match was a close one leading the teams to a tie breaker, but in the end, Lewis Young ’14 and Webster came out victorious with a 9-7 win.
On the Women’s courts, the Maroons brought home an 8-1 victory, improving their record to 11-4 overall and 5-2 in the ODAC.Â This year’s team has already caught up with their record for most wins which was set in 2007 when the team finished the season with an 11-6.
RC swept the board in the singles competition; each match was won in the first two sets.Â Corbin Leitch ’13 won her eleventh match of this season and Laura Dodson ’13 picked up her tenth win.Â Haley Goodes ’15 evened out her record to 7-7 with her first win in the number three spot.
In the doubles competition, Dodson and Leitch won their twelfth match as a pair in an 8-0 shutout and Brianna Carroll ’15 and Goodes pulled out of a tiebreaker with a 9-8 win.
Both teams will play Randolph-Macon on Saturday, April 7 at 11 am.Â The Women’s team will also travel to Mary Washington that afternoon at 3:30pm.
- Student Spotlight: Adriana Otalora
- Family Weekend Schedule
- Paul Chappell Discusses Potential for Peace
- Jennifer Wiseman Discusses the Revelations of the Hubble Space Telescope
- It’s All Greek to Me: Roanoke Greek Festival
- Seven Steps to Avoid Getting Sick This Winter
- The Jordan Harman Band
- Tips and Tricks – Wedding Planner
- Guardians of the Galaxy, or the Box Office?
- To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Lynchburg College
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Randolph College
- Cross Country Invitational
- Dear Sue: “Sexed-out-Sam”
- Student Government Announces Winners