The Roanoke College Maroons, men’s lacrosse team continued their winning streak Wednesday in Lexington, VA against Washington and Lee, but only by a slim margin. With a final score of 14-12 the Maroons advance to 8-3 overall this season, winning their fourth straight game. But the win was not easy.
Joey Corett ’12 struck first to bring the Maroons to a 3-1 lead by the end the first period, but Washington and Lee attacked back to bring the score to 4-3 with ten minutes left in the second quarter. Roanoke responded with its own scoring spree to extend the lead to 7-3 with six minutes left in the half.
At the start of the second half the tides seem to shift in W&L’s favor.Â With a goal by W&L only two minutes into the third period it looked like W&L would rally on top but today was not their day.
Major players for the Maroons were Jeff Keating ’12, who scored three goals, Brayden Gerrie ’13, who collected four groundballs, and Mike Hardon ’13, who made 12 saves.
On the women’s side, The Maroons dominated Randolph College in Lynchburg on Tuesday 20-6, with some impressive stats. Roanoke leads Randolph in almost every stat which included shots (39-13), groundballs (24-17) and draw controls (19-9).
Roanoke leads the charge with the first four goals of the game. Making the score 6-2 by the end of the first quarter. Second quarter was no different with the final score being 15-4 by the end of the half.
The second half was much the same, expect with a lot more goal scoring for the Maroons. And while Randolph College attempt to come back, the deficit was too great bring the final score of the game to 20-6.
Some key players included Allison Bonanoo ’14 and Kathleen Wager ’13, who each scored four goals, Darragh Evarts â€˜15, who scored three.
The women come home to play Sweet Briar College on Thursday, April 5 in an ODAC contest.
- Flashback Friday: 90th Anniversary of Macy’s Day Parade
- Roanoke College Celebrates Founder’s Day
- The Sexperts: “Home for the Holidays”
- African Student Showcase
- R-Glow: A Tribal Rave Experience
- Open Mic Night in Cavern
- “Clearly You Crystals” RCAD
- Dear Sue: “Sick Sally”
- Holiday Movie Preview: Who Will Control The Box Office?
- R-Glow Preview
- Dr. Michele Lise Presents Witchcraze: Exploring Violent Responses to Wise Women through the Ages
- President’s Ball in the Big Easy
- Roanoke Honors Veterans on Veteran’s Day
- Shack Attack: Students Raise Money for Habitat for Humanity
- Take Back The Night: A Fight Against Domestic Violence