In April of 2009, a group of theatre students from University of Michigan created a musical parody of the popular book and movie series “Harry Potter” which they entitled “A Very Potter Musical.” Soon after Starkid Productions was born. Now, three years later, Team Starkid has finished their fifth masterpiece: “Holy Musical B@man!”
Written by Nick and Matt Lang, the show is a parody of DC Universe Comics; it mainly focuses on the vigilante Batman, but also includes Superman, The Green Latern, and several other DC heroes as well as a new villain who, with the help of some old ones we know and love, threatens Gotham City.
The show, performed in Chicago March 22-25, welcomed Joe Walker, Meredith Stepien, Dylan Saunders, Lauren Lopez, Nick Lang, Jaime Lyn Beatty, and Denise Donovan back to the stage as well as several newcomers to Team Starkid.
For those of you who are comic book junkies don’t be offended by the departure from the Batman canon. Starkid satirizes the Dark Knight and brings to light those little quirks that even the biggest Batman fans lovingly roll their eyes at.
“It was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. It was a riot and I recommend it to anybody looking for a good study break,” said Shannon Mace ’15, a longtime fan of Starkid Productions.
The music from their past four musicals has all been written by Darren Criss, the face of Blaine Anderson on Fox’s “Glee” and co-founder of Starkid Productions, but with this show, Starkids Nick Gage and Scott Lamps wrote the music and lyrics.
“I was a little worried at first when I found out that Darren Criss wasn’t writing the music for the show,” said Kelsey Daniel ’12, “But the songs were great and very catchy.”
Some of these songs include: “Robin Sucks,” “The American Way,” and “Super Friends.”
Starkid Productions uploaded the show in its entirety to YouTube Friday, April 13, and in the just a week has over 300,000 views. So this week, when you need a break from studying or you are all done with your exams, check out “Holy Musical B@man!” on YouTube to see what all the fuss is about and if you like it be sure to check out their other musicals which can be found on their YouTube channel, “Starkid Potter.”
- Roanoke Students and Faculty Discuss the Truth About Ebola
- Write On!: Writing Center Celebrates Roanoke Writes Week
- How to Be Successfully Promiscuous
- Dear Sue
- Family Weekend: Musical Extravaganza
- First Ebola Case in the US
- RC Club’s to Host Fundraiser for Children’s Miracle Network Hospital
- Wilderness and the Myths of American Environmentalism
- Howland Blackiston Discusses The Amazing Honeybee
- From Feet to Feathers: How a Fetish Can Spice Up Your Sex Life
- Five Things: Steam’s Crème de la Crème
- Opinion: Smoking
- Family Weekend Build–a–Bear Workshop
- Women’s Field Hockey vs. Sweet Briar College
- Roanoke Maroons v. Randolph-Macon College