Home Section C - Entertainment “Supernatural” Season 8 Leaves Something To Be Desired

“Supernatural” Season 8 Leaves Something To Be Desired

81
1

Emily Erwin

I think I must be the only fan of “Supernatural” who thinks that the show has been going downhill. Don’t get me wrong, seasons three and four were pretty awesome, but I honestly feel like the show has been going downhill ever since then. I felt that the apocalypse arc would be interesting, but it was dragged out to the point of no return and I quickly lost interest. Then season six started and I thought that there was a chance for the show to redeem itself. It was interesting, but I grew rather tired of Dean and Sam whining and being emo in general. Granted, one of the Winchester brothers is always being angsty about something so this really shouldn’t be anything new, but I found it was over exaggerated.

And Cas becoming God was really a bit of a stretch, too. Not to mention out of character.

Season seven seemed like the writers of the show were running out of ideas to use in episodes. It seemed to me like most of the episodes had nothing to do with the Winchesters dealing with the Leviathans. I felt that the inclusion of the Leviathans in the show was a bit unneeded, as well.

I’m not going to deny that the end of season seven wasn’t riveting. Really, it’s not like fans were expecting Cas and Dean to be thrown into Purgatory. It makes sense that it was Dean since the guy’s literally been to Hell and back. To me, it doesn’t really make sense as to why Cas was sent to Purgatory with Dean, but maybe there’s something that I’m overlooking.

Season eight premiered on October 3rd and opened with Dean’s return from Purgatory. It’s revealed that he escaped with the help of a vampire named Benny. After the Winchesters have a less than warm reunion, they realize that Kevin is still alive, having escaped from Crowley, and is on the run. Sam and Dean learn that a Word of God tablet has been taken by Crowley and that the contents would allow him to open all of the gates of Hell and unleash all of the demons onto Earth.

That may seem bad (which it certainly is), but there’s no reason to give up hope yet. Kevin reveals that the tablet also contained a way to seal the gate and to banish the demons from Earth forever.

Sounds pretty good, right?

A great deal of the fans are wondering about what happened to Castiel. When Dean reunited with his brother, Sam asked what happened to Cas, since he knew that they were both trapped in Purgatory. The only thing that Dean said about the matter was that Cas didn’t make it, leaving fans to assume that he died.

Not that this really matters. It’s not like he hasn’t been brought back to life at least three times already.

I’ll admit that I’d love to know what happens to Cas. I have a feeling that Cas isn’t dead, but I don’t know where else he would be if he isn’t in Purgatory. The last we saw of Castiel was when Dean is leaving Purgatory and he is screaming after him.

Because, you know, that isn’t going to upset fans at all.

Aside from the mystery of Cas’ location/ state of living, This season has had a bit of filler episodes. I know the fourth episode aired this Wednesday, but the past two episodes have been completely unnecessary. The episode directed by Jensen Ackles, who plays Dean Winchester, could have been interesting, but it left a lot to be desired.

Wednesday’s episode was called “Bitten” and judging from that, I thought it would be about vampires and possibly another episode bashing “Twilight”. However, the episode was shot in the handheld camera style that is overused in modern horror movies and the plot was honestly uninteresting. I honestly spent most of the episode screwing around online and only half paid attention to the episode. Despite this, I could still understand what was going on, which is really saying something about the writing.

I have high hopes for next week’s episode. The episode is called “Blood Brother” and since it’s premiering on Halloween, I have a feeling that it’s going to be very interesting. However, in reality, it will probably be either amazing or absolute crap.

Though the past few seasons haven’t been exactly up to par, I’m hoping that “Supernatural” will redeem itself in this season. I’m not holding out for much, but it would be nice to see something good happen in this show.

1 COMMENT

1. You are not alone, season 8 isn’t all that. The boys both look sort of worn out too. Wish Sam would cut his hair. Starting to look like a middle age guy going through a mid life crisis. Not good.