Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue

Dear Sue

133
0

The elections are coming up and I seriously lack the desire to vote. I am from a southern state that almost always votes 66% republican or higher. I just don’t feel like my vote matters. Is it really that big of a deal that I don’t vote?

-Apathetic and Mixed –Up

Dear Apathetic,

You are totally normal for not feeling the importance of voting. I have had many conversations around campus about this very issue. It is especially prevalent coming from students who live outside of Virginia.

Unfortunately, there really isn’t a great answer that I can give that will invigorate you to go vote. However, there are several reasons that I can think of that are positive reasons to go vote.

First off, the act of voting is one of the few ways that you can easily get your voice at least partially heard in our government. This is especially true during presidential elections, as these only come around once every 4 years.

Secondly, you don’t lose very much by voting. Maybe you’ll lose 30 minutes or a few hours because of driving or maybe even just a few minutes filling out an absentee ballot, but having your voice heard only happens every once in a while.

Finally, it’s just kind of cool just having the possibility of even voicing your opinion. Not everyone in the world has the option to choose a leader or have a say in laws.

Now, there are several organizations and public figures that take that idea to the extreme, but don’t let that guilt trip you into doing something that just doesn’t excite you right now. I assure you, you won’t be the only one who doesn’t vote.

Hope This Helps

-Sue Z. Maroon

Previous articleDear Dr. P
Next articleHalo 4