Home Section A - News Maroon Focus Student Spotlight

Student Spotlight

110
0

Victoria Zelvin

Peter Tainer, from Botetourt County in the Roanoke Valley, was born with a genetic malfunction in his legs that required both legs to be amputated. This hasn’t stopped him from pursuing his dream, however. At Roanoke College he is a member of the indoor track team and would like to run for the outdoor track team as well.

Tainer recently appeared next to other Roanoke College Olympians, Shelley Olds ’03 and Richard Emberger ’60. During this event, Tainer joined both Olds and Emberger speaking about his passion for his sport and what brought him to it.

“I started running my sophomore year of high school and fell in love,” Tainer says.

Tainer cites his ability to participate in the Paralympic Championships in Florida during his sophomore year of high school as continuing inspiration. “It was the first time I got to run against other amputees,” he says. “It was a privilege to be among them.”

He hopes to race in the Paralympics someday and is using the expert coaching of Roanoke College to help him. “The coaches here focus on speed more than my high school coaches, which is great,” Tainer says.

Tainer is a freshman who recently changed his major from Biology to Math, with a minor in Education. “I’d like to teach high school students. That way I can coach the track team on the side,” Tainer says.

The indoor track team has their first meet December 1st.