Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue

Dear Sue

98
0

Dear Sue

I really enjoy dating, I have gone on dates with several guys in the past few weeks but nothing has really clicked. I don’t feel like there is anything wrong with this, but several friends have thought this is weird. Sue, is there really anything wrong with window shopping?

-Bashful and Judged

Dear Bashful,

I feel the idea of going out on dates has been over simplified and has been given too much meaning. First dates nowadays, or even casual dates, are almost seen as a blood pact to that person, especially in the eyes of college peers.

In the past dating was a thing everyone did and it wasn’t considered a boyfriend/girlfriend situation until people “went steady,” and dated for several weeks or months.

Personally, I think that “window shopping” or testing the waters is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It’s not even that uncommon to spend some time with a guy, go on a few dates and say, “hey, I think you’re a good guy, but this isn’t quite what I’m looking for.”

Also, if you are content with window shopping, I would always be upfront with the men you are dating. Simple statements like “hey, I’m not looking for anything real serious yet,” or “I’m not thinking about anything really exclusive in the near future,” can keep your potential friendship intact if it doesn’t go down the boyfriend path.

Good luck with the boy tasting, don’t be discouraged by your friends.

-Sue Z. Maroon

Previous articleDear Dr. P
Next articleUpcoming Movies