Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue Stress

Dear Sue Stress

80
0

I am really stressed out about finals coming up. Between all the final projects and papers and the studying for next week, I feel burnt out. I need a good way to de-stress, but I don’t want to go to the bar like all of my friends are. I feel like getting drunk will just put me behind, which will cause even more stress. Do you have any ideas?

Stressed-Out

Dear Stressed-Out,

Finals are a stressful time for everyone. I am sure there are many people who are thinking something similar. There is nothing wrong with going to the bar for a few drinks in order to wind down, but it is not for everyone. For those of you who, for whatever reason, cannot, or don’t want, to drink, here are a few ideas.

Go catch a movie. There are plenty of good December flicks on at the theatre. Two hours away from school work could do you a world of good. If you don’t want to pay to go to the movies, then grab a few friends and curl up with Netflix.

Treat yourself to a nice dinner. Roanoke had a huge variety of restaurants and there is sure to be one that you haven’t tried.

Make an appointment with the RC Stress Relief day on December 9th. They offer chair massages, facial waxes, and other relaxing treatments.

Go outside. Sitting inside and studying for hours on end is not good for you physically or mentally. It will do you a world of good to go for a walk or grab some friends to play Frisbee on the Quad.

Finally, sleep. This is the most important stress relief factor, but it is the most difficult to achieve. A full night’s sleep will leave you relaxed and ready for anything. Lack of sleep will increase stress and irritability.

No matter what you do, make sure to take a break between finals this week. Everyone needs some down time. Good luck on finals and study hard!

Previous articleDear Sue Freedom
Next articleDear Dr. P