Home Section A - News Letter From The Editor by Matthew Othus

Letter From The Editor by Matthew Othus

11
0

Letter from the Editor

Matthew Othus

This summer I had the pleasure of staying here, in Roanoke, for the entirety of our break from school. I am originally from Oregon, so not going home and not seeing family for years at a time is certainly an interesting and scary change to my life.

Over the summer I had quite a bit of time to reflect on future plans. My thoughts ranged from smaller things such as daily routines this semester and larger things like what it is I am going to do when I graduate in less than 2 years.

Yet, even under all this stress and panic about being virtually alone in Roanoke, I still thought about The Brackety-Ack. I thought about this newspaper more so than any other problem in my life or emotion that I was feeling.

I have great plans for this newspaper; I want to take it to heights that it hasn’t seen in decades. I want this newspaper to grow, expand and eventually laugh in the face of the internet. Well, maybe my goals are a bit too ambitious, but it doesn’t mean I won’t try.

One of my steps in making this newspaper better was taken during the week before school started. I was able to come back early and work on some of the mechanical issues and create some new templates. My goal was to make The Brackety-Ack look ever so slightly better and to make it more time efficient to create.

I was able to succeed in the first goal, and hopefully my second goal of time efficiency will be tested with this issue of September 13th.

However, I would not have been able to come back early and complete these goals if it wasn’t for the help of the Res Life staff and Dr. Tom Carter, the advisor to the Brackety-Ack. I would like to thank all those who aided me in the last month of summer vacation and effectively empowered me to make these important changes.

Hopefully, with the help of my editors and new staff writers, we can create a better newspaper for all of you who read it on a weekly basis.

I am looking forward to another great semester of serving the Roanoke College community; it’s going to be a good one.

As always, if you have comments or questions, contact us at brackack@roanoke.edu or myself personally at meothus@mail.roanoke.edu .