Home Section B - Sports Men’s Soccer

Men’s Soccer


The men’s soccer team continues to prove why they are number one in the conference, going 2-0 this past weekend at the Lynchburg invitational. The men are good enough this season that they were recently ranked 24th out of all division three colleges in the United States in a poll by D3soccer.com on September 23.

The Maroons played their first game on the Lynchburg Invitational on Saturday, shutting out the Saints of Marymount 2-0. The game got off to a fast start when Robbie Lentine scored the Maroon’s first goal at the 14:16 mark. This was the only point to be scored during the first half, with the Maroons taking a total of 14 shots, with the one goal, 7 shots on goal that were saved by Marymount goalie, Kurt Michaels, and 6 more shots not on target.

Almost an hour later, at the 73:00 point of the game, Tyler Carbaugh scored Roanoke’s second and final goal of the game against Michaels. The final 17 minutes of the game went by without a problem for the Maroons. Roanoke took a total of 7 shots in the second half with a goal and one save by Michaels. During the whole game Marymount only took 4 shots, only 1 of which was on target and was saved by Roanoke’s Will Dooley.

The following day the Maroons played an exciting game against John Carroll that wasn’t decided until Robbie Lentine scored the game winning goal off of a pass by Tyler Carbaugh in double overtime. The game started when Nathan Sharbaugh of John Carroll scored the first goal at the 29:28 mark on Roanoke’s Michael Perry. Roanoke responded quickly when Orestis Ilias scored a goal just 12 seconds later at 29:40 to tie the game up once again. 6 minutes later Mark Dinkel would score an insurance goal for the Maroons that would prove necessary later in the game.

At the 61:59 mark in the second half, Jimmy Mattina scored John Carroll’s second goal of the game to tie the game up. This was the only goal scored in the second half, leading the two teams into an exciting overtime game. During the first 10 minutes of overtime the Maroons took a total of 2 shots, both of which were not on goal. John Carroll did not get an opportunity to take a shot in overtime. The game ended just 11 seconds into the second overtime with Robbie Lentine’s goal.

The Maroons have a record of 4-0 this season. The men return to action on the 14th when they play at Randolph-Macon who hold a record of 2-2 and are coming off of a win on the 7th.