Home Section D - Opinion Dearest Susan Zelda by Sue Z. Maroon

Dearest Susan Zelda by Sue Z. Maroon

138
0

Dearest Susan Zelda,

I’m really stressed about my upcoming midterms. In the past, I’ve never done very well on midterm tests and projects. I want to do well on my midterms, but I don’t want to be a hermit in my room during the last week before fall break. How do I balance study time with social time?

Active and studious

Dear Active,

A lot of people are facing this problem this time of year. You don’t want to give up your social life because, if you do, you won’t see your friends for a week. However, this is the second most important week of school, only behind finals week.

The best thing to do if you want to study and see your friends is to form a study group. You get to see your friends and be studying at the same time. This is especially helpful if y’all are in the same class, so you can help each other study and learn the material better. However, even if you’re not in the same class, having peer pressure to study is better than peer pressure to party.

Now, if you and your friends get distracted easily then having the study session in the library or a common room without a TV is probably the best option to curb distractions. Of course don’t underestimate the value of study breaks. Relaxing or taking food breaks about once an hour will be a needed stress relief.

Just remember the best study techniques are studying for just a few hours every night and not cramming. Don’t forget to get a good night’s sleep and a good meal before your tests!