Home Section B - Sports Men’s Basketball Wins One and Loses One After Break

Men’s Basketball Wins One and Loses One After Break


Washington and Lee stole the first game after break from the Maroons  to give the men’s basketball team their first Old Dominion Athletic Conference loss this season. The Maroons played the full regulation time and an extra 5 minute overtime before a three pointer at the buzzer sealed the Washington and Lee victory that ended with a final score of 84-87.

Julian Ramirez scored the first points of the game when he made a fast break layup to give the Maroons a quick lead, but the Generals quickly tied the game and relentlessly ran the score up. In the first half, the Maroons trailed by as many as eight points at the 15:13 mark, but they refused to allow Washington and Lee to increase their lead further. The Maroons fought through the half to regain the lead off of a good three pointer by Julian Ramirez with 3:36 remaining in the half. The lead would not stand as the Generals took it back at 3:11, and the lead would change twice more at 2:38 and 2:24. With 20 seconds remaining, Daniel Eacho made a good layup that ended the half with the Maroons trailing 32-34.

The two teams immediately continued to battle back and forth in the second half with the Maroons never trailing by more than six points but never catching up until they finally tied the game up with 11:57 remaining in regulation time. After Andrew Franz made a layup to give Washington and Lee a two point lead, it took Seth Bradley sinking a free throw and a three pointer to give Roanoke College its first lead of the half. The lead changed eight more times until a three pointer by Stefan Vulevic gave the Maroons a two point lead that would stand until the final 11 seconds of the game when a good two pointer was made by Patrick O’Connor of Washington and Lee to force overtime.

The overtime started with three consecutive three pointers being made, the first by the Generals followed by two by Roanoke to give the Maroons a three point lead. Roanoke couldn’t hold onto the lead as the Generals took a two point lead off of a good three pointer with 1:35 remaining. Roanoke continued to battle until a Julian Ramirez tied the game up with four seconds remaining with a good layup, but the Maroons couldn’t force a second overtime a Patrick O’Connor sank a three pointer at the buzzer.

The men’s basketball team did not allow the last second loss to bring them down as they looked to rebound from the tough loss. The Maroons went on to play the Cougars of Averett University looking for a win to even their season record to 3-3. The Maroons defeated the cougars comfortably as they never trailed in the game after Daniel Eacho made a layup at the 18:05 mark. The Maroons led by as many as twenty four points as they cruised to a 97-85 victory over Averett University.

Andrew Daniels led the team with 20 points, followed by Daniel Eacho with 19, Julian Ramirez with 14, and John Fitchett with 12. Eacho also pulled down ten rebounds in the contest, four on offense and six on defense.

The Maroons play their last game of the semester at home on Saturday, 12/7, when they host Eastern Mennonite University at 1:00 PM. Both teams come into the contest with a 3-3 record.