Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Upperclassman Feels”

Dear Sue: “Upperclassman Feels”

97
0

I’ve gotten through registration (Thank God),  but my schedule is really full and I’m afraid I don’t have enough time to fit in all my extra and co-curricular activities, including my jobs and leadership roles in clubs. I feel I need all this stuff so I can get into grad school. What do I do?

Upperclassman Feels ​

Dear Upperclassman Feels,

It sounds like you’re very stressed out by all that you’re involved in. I think you should consider scaling down your involvement in extracurriculars and focus on the ones you’re truly passionate about. Extracurriculars are one of the factors graduate schools consider, but you’ll be a better candidate if you’ve learned how to manage your time effectively as an undergrad.

Take some time to do something that helps you get rid of stress. Whether it’s meditation, yoga, reading, or just watching TV, it’s important to have some time off to do things that make you happy. It sounds like you may be so busy you don’t have time to hang out with friends because you’re so focused on getting into grad school, but if that’s the case, you’re missing out on one of the best parts of the college experience.

Go easy on yourself next semester. Don’t sign up for things unless you truly want to be involved in them, not just because you want to look good to an admissions office. Being this involved may look good on paper, but if it’s making you compromise your health, happiness, or sanity, you need to take a step back and give yourself the time you need to recharge.

Sue