Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Busy Bethany”

Dear Sue: “Busy Bethany”

18
0

I’m trying to be healthier, but I’m finding it really difficult to do so on-campus. I can never bring myself to wake up in the morning for breakfast, so I don’t end up eating anything until lunchtime, and by the time I get there, I’m starving. Then, I have classes and club meetings until late at night, so I go to the Cavern every night for dinner. I don’t usually go to bed until midnight or later. I’ve been trying to go to sleep earlier, but my roommate is always up late doing homework, so it’s been really difficult. How can I become healthier overall, even with my busy schedule?

Busy Bethany

Dear Busy,

It’s good that you’re making an effort to adopt healthier habits, even though it sounds like you’ve run into some challenges. The first step you could take would be to force yourself out of bed in the morning for breakfast. If you really can’t make yourself get up earlier, at least eat something in your room before going to class. This will energize you for your morning classes and you won’t be as hungry when you finally get to lunch. You could also bring a snack with you so you aren’t starving when you go to dinner. The Cavern has healthy options available, so you should be able to find something there you can live with. My last recommendation is that you make it a priority to get enough sleep. You should be sleeping 8-10 hours every night. If your roommate is preventing you from doing that, you should talk to her about it and ask her if she can do her homework in the common room or somewhere else so that you can get to sleep.