Home Section B - Sports Men’s Soccer Secures Playoff Win

Men’s Soccer Secures Playoff Win

Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics
Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics


The last game of the regular season for the men’s soccer team was Halloween against Washington and Lee. The Generals took the game 1-0.

The only goal for the game came early by Washington and Lee just ten minutes into the game. Roanoke was struggling to make any progress on offense. In the first half they had a total of four shots, only one of them on goal. Despite the Generals’ twelve shots, the Maroons kept the score 1-0 going into the half.

In the second half, the Maroons still lacked life. Again, there were only four shots from the Maroons while the Generals had thirteen. However, Roanoke didn’t let Washington and Lee take over, keeping the score to 1-0 through the end of the game.

Cole Sinclair started in the net for the Maroons. He had six saves, only allowing one goal. After sixty minutes, Will Likenhoker came into the net for the Maroons and had two saves. The stellar Maroon defense kept the game within reach but the offense was almost a non-factor.

The playoffs for the Old Dominion Athletic Conference started for the men on Tuesday. The Maroons came in as the number three seed and faced sixth-seed Bridgewater for their first game. Roanoke won the game 3-0 and will advance to the semifinals.

The Maroon offense was playing hard in the first half. There were eleven shots in the period by Roanoke, four of which were on goal but they were unable to score. Bridgewater was struggling to keep up and only had one shot in the entire period. It was clear the Maroon offense was running the game.

Roanoke seemed to have cooled off coming back from halftime. The first fifteen minutes of the second half didn’t see the same intensity that they ended the first half on. Then, Fortune Sibanda scored the first goal of the game for the Maroons, putting them up 1-0. It was clear the offense wasn’t playing with the same aggression as the first half but since they calmed down they were able to find the net.

Seventeen minutes after the first goal, Tyler Carbaugh scored, giving the Maroons a 2-0 lead. The high intensity offense seemed to come back. Roanoke was attempting more shots, and also drawing yellow cards. In the last fifteen minutes of the game, three Maroons received yellow cards. With one minute left in the game, Cole Thornton gave Roanoke their last goal, and the 3-0 win over Bridgewater.

Carbaugh was the obvious leader in the game. He led the team in shots, with six, and shots on goal, with four. He also scored one of Roanoke’s three goals.

This Saturday, Roanoke travels to the semifinals where they’ll face second-seeded Randolph College. The two teams had very similar regular season records, both with twelve overall wins, and seven wins against ODAC teams. When the two faced each other earlier in the season, the game ended in a tie.