Home Section B - Sports Women’s Soccer Advances in ODACs

Women’s Soccer Advances in ODACs

Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics
Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics


Roanoke College Women’s Soccer played the last game of the regular season at home on Halloween. They stole this Senior Day game against Hollins in a 15-0 landslide.

Anna Carter started off the scoring for the Maroons after just 1:35 minutes of play. In the first period, Roanoke barraged Hollins’ defense. There were twenty-four shots by the Maroons in the half. They barely let Hollins touch the ball, not allowing them any shots in the period. Scoring was spread out over many Maroon players. As well as Carter, Linnea Kremer, Mars Barnard, Lauren O’Brien, Adelyn Fitzgerald, Megan Ryan, Jillian Barnard all got one goal in the half. Kendall McCreary netted two. Going into half the Maroons led 9-0.

Roanoke was a little less aggressive in the second half. Hollins was able to get in four shots but had no success reaching the net. Roanoke, however, shot back another six goals, all coming from different players. Nathalie Torres, Heather Reynolds, Ashley Barnes, Sara Celec, Kristin Figel, and Sarah Dvorak, who usually plays goalie, each scored.

The Maroons steam rolled Hollins and took a 15-0 win to end the regular season.

The Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournament started on Wednesday for Roanoke. Coming into the game, the Maroons were sixth-seeded in the ODAC with an overall record of 10-7-1. They faced a strong Washington and Lee team who was 13-3 on the season and was third-seed. Roanoke beat the Generals in penalty kicks in order to reach the semifinals.

The Maroons played Washington and Lee earlier in the semester and lost 0-4.

Washington and Lee took an early lead over the Maroons, scoring the first goal after only five minutes. After that goal, there were five shots by Roanoke, none of which found the net. The Maroons were able to hold off a strong Generals offense through the period.

In the second period, Carter scored for the Maroons to tie the game 1-1. In the last twenty minutes of the game, neither team was able to put a scoring play together. In the closing seconds of the game, Barnes had a shot on goal but it was saved by the General’s goalie. The game ended tied, forcing overtime.

In the two ten-minute periods, Washington and Lee appeared to be the stronger team. They had a total of five shots, three on goal, while Roanoke didn’t manage to get even off a single shot. After two overtime periods, the game remained tied and the teams prepared for a penalty kick shootout.

Hopes went up when Washington and Lee missed their first kick. Maroon shooters came through with Mars Barnard, Torres, Abby Hobby, O’Brien, and Laura Sullivan all making their kicks.

Carter was the leading player in the game. Not only did she have the only goal for the Maroons, allowing them to eventually fight for the victory in overtime, but she lead the team in shots, with three, and two shots on goal. Dvorak spent the entire game in the goal, including the penalty kicks. She allowed one goal but had six saves.

The next game in the playoffs for the Maroons is second-seed Shenandoah University, who are 13-6-1. The Maroons faced Shenandoah earlier in the season and lost 0-1. Make sure to support the women in their semifinal game this Saturday as they travel to Lynchburg.