Home Section D - Opinion Being single is o.k.a.y

Being single is o.k.a.y

110
0

First, let me say that I am all for a good love story and may possibly even be a closet romantic, BUT, I will be the first to admit that being single on Valentine’s Day is not the end of the world. If anything, these are the years to be alone while you’re surrounded by a plethora of other singles that also want to drink a bottle of red wine and eat a pint of ice cream while watching the cheesiest chick flick that anyone can find.keep-calm-its-ok-to-be-single-fi

So, if you think you’re sad about being alone on Valentine’s Day, remember, this is college and it is healthy to be single. I mean, if you can barely commit to a major, how are you supposed to commit to another human? However cynical that may sound, think about the facts:

1. How old are you anyway – maybe 20?
  2. You just got away from your parents; do you really need someone else to answer to?
  3. You’re not lonely, you’re just bored. Find a hobby.
  4. Remember watching that one friend miss out on that awesome party because ‘bae’ didn’t want them to go? That sucked!
  5. Who wants to go through a breakup at a school of roughly 2,000 people? You will see your ex and their post break up hook-up the next day, so good luck with that.

Don’t get me wrong; college relationships work for some people and I can’t deny those rare cases the recognition they deserve. However, the ones I’ve witnessed are more like Drake songs and ain’t nobody got time for that drama as a student.

If you’re not convinced yet, let’s take a hard look at this upcoming (sham of a) holiday. Let’s be honest, Valentine’s Day is really just a day made for stores to shamelessly push overpriced heart shaped candy and make anyone who doesn’t buy it feel guilty for their lack of romance. Also, it’s a designated day to show your significant other the love you should be showing them all throughout the year! What’s up with that? Restaurants are booked with reservations, flower shops sell out, and PDA is on an uncomfortably excessive level, all because of one day. I suppose it proves that most people are either actually in love or simply in love with the idea of love. Both are great places to be, but I’d say leave it for postgrad like the rest of your real world concerns.