Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Confused Cal”

Dear Sue: “Confused Cal”

198
0

I have no idea what to do for my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. We’ve only been dating for three months, but I’m really feeling the pressure to get her something. I just don’t know if it’s too soon. I thought about just getting her a card but who really wants to get a card on V-day? It wouldn’t exactly scream romance, not that that’s my area of expertise. I’ve tried to ask my friends what they thought, but they’re either not in a relationship, or they’ve been dating the same girl since high school and don’t have the greatest advice. If I go too small, I think I’ll piss her off, and if I go too big I think I’ll freak her out. I hate how confusing this holiday is! What do you think is a happy medium?

Confused Cal

giphy

Dear Cal,

I certainly see your dilemma and clearly your friends aren’t in the same situation as you, so it could be difficult to assess. You know her better than them anyway, so think about her personality. If she has a sense of humor, a gag gift could be the perfect way to make an uncomfortable situation bearable. Since it’s early in the relationship, I would suggest this:

1. Staying in and ordering a pizza. Mostly because it can get awkward waiting in a restaurant surrounded by people who have been dating for years falling over each other.
  2. Suggest renting a romantic comedy. This will show her that you have a soft side but you’re not ready to get all mushy just yet.
  3. Put a pair of fuzzy handcuffs in a gift box. When the movie is over give her the gift and right as she gets nervous because she didn’t get you anything she’ll open the box and burst into laughter. It’s a win-win situation! You either get a good laugh out of her, or maybe she’ll actually be into it! There’s only one way to find out.

Other than that you can’t go wrong with a single red rose and a box of chocolates, generic but thoughtful!