Home Section B - Sports RC Volleyball wins E&H Invitational

RC Volleyball wins E&H Invitational

55
0

Stephanie Wickett – Staff Writer

This past weekend at the Emory and Henry Invitational Title, Roanoke College Women’s Volleyball team stormed over Meredith College, Sewanee University, and Ferrum College to win the tournament title and put three more wins on their season.

The Maroons also had Maggie Wagner ’11 voted Most Valuable Player with honors.  Wagner and fellow teammate Emily Martin ’11 were chosen for the all-tournament team. 

“To be honest, I was totally surprised that I was named MVP. I couldn’t have done it without my teammates,” Wagner said. 

“I was really surprised actually. It was a huge accomplishment to finally make the all-tournament team my last year here,” Martin said.  

With heads held high and a good feeling about this season, the women’s volleyball team is determined to continue working hard and bring in the wins.  Coming out with another title and two recognized players, it is quite apparent that RC has a great team on their hands filled with great players.

“It paid off in the tournament” said Blair Trail, Head Volleyball Coach. 

Knowing that the whole team has been working very hard, both girls stated that this season is looking very promising to them.

“We have a lot of good girls here and a lot of team chemistry. Everybody wants to play volleyball and is very passionate about it and everybody wants to win,” Martin said. 

“I have so much confidence in all the girls on the team. We are two and three players deep in almost every position so there is a lot of inner competition on the team which helps drive everyone to work harder and pick up their game. I also think that our coaching staff does a really good job pushing and challenging us to become better as individuals as well as a team,” Wagner said.

So far this season, the team has had seven wins and two losses. Their main goal is staying focused and improving their game. There are eighteen matches left and the team has every intention of finishing this season just as well, if not better than they started it. The RC Women’s Volleyball team plays Randolph-Macon College on Saturday.