Home Section B - Sports RC Basketball player, Singleton, humbled by recent success

RC Basketball player, Singleton, humbled by recent success

137
0

– Sports writer

Logan Singleton ’12 has been receiving a lot of attention recently, and it’s not just for his height.  He has scored 267 points this basketball season with 108 of those points scored in the last five games. He says the attention now is “definitely different.”

Standing 6’8″ the junior humbly said he doesn’t think about the notoriety that has come his way.

“The last couple games I’ve uncharacteristically had points in the 20s.  I’m having to step up in situations I didn’t have to in high school and that’s where all the attention is coming from. I try not to let it affect me. I choose to focus more on the success of the team than anything else,” Singleton said.

Singleton said that he was part of a good high school team where the attention was mostly on the team and not necessarily on individuals.

“I would rather win than have a good game as an individual,” Singleton said.

The team, he emphasizes, works really hard to improve every day.  With many new, younger players this year; the team works to build on their skill levels and continue improving.  He says this improvement is apparent from last year. 

“We struggled a lot with a lot of close games. It was a huge disappointment, but this year we’ve gotten a lot better,” Singleton said.

The team is 9-14, five of those games they won in their conference. Last season the team was 6-20 overall and 3-13 in their conference.

The team’s goals continue to build off the previous year. They look to stay strong and competitive within their conference while growing as a team. Singleton also points out the other goal is to win the ODAC, whether in regular season or in conference.

“We always want to be competitive and improve as a team. We just take it day by day,” Singleton said.

Singleton himself has played basketball for three years at Roanoke College.  Basketball played a large part in his decision to attend RC. It has given him what he calls a “built in group of friends.” He says it is easy being with his teammates both on and off the court because of their shared interest and dedication to basketball.

“After college I know I’ll still be friends with these guys,” Singleton said.

While he insists on talking more about team success rather than his own success, Singleton has improved greatly as well since last season. This year he has racked up 108 field goal points, increasing from last season’s 86 points. He said this difference comes partly from a difference in playing time and partly from simply working hard on the court.

“I work to improve my skills. Freshman and sophomore years were growing years. I would learn as I went. This year I’m trying to simply play my best and next year hopefully I can put it all together,” Singleton said.

Head Coach Page Moir is also excited about Logan’s progress, calling him a “real force” on the team and noting he’s scored 28 and 12 his last two games.

“He didn’t have a lot of minutes playing before Christmas due to a foot injury but he’s been progressing steadily since he’s gotten back. The games he’s played this season are the best he’s had. We’re very excited about what he’s done and his progress,” Moir said.  

The men’s basketball team has two more games this week before a tournament game. They play on the 16th and the 19th against Randolph College and Bridgewater College respectively.

The team is 9-14, five of those games they won in their conference. Last season the team was 6-20

overall and 3-13 in their conference.