Home Section A - News Amanda Knox verdict overturned

Amanda Knox verdict overturned


Haley Shircliff

Staff writer


On October 3, an Italian court overturned the murder conviction of 24-year-old American Amanda Knox. Originally, the 2009 verdict found Knox guilty of killing her British roommate, 21-year-old Meredith Kercher, in 2007. This was overturned and she was found not guilty. She was freed from jail and returned to America.


Amanda Knox was, at the time of the murder, a 20-year-old University of Washington language student who shared a flat with Kercher. She was in Perugia attending the University for Foreigners for one year, studying Italian, German and Creative Writing. Knox met Raffaele Sollecito, an Italian student, at a music class which she attended with Kercher at the University for Foreigners.


The murder of Meredith Kercher occurred in Perugia, Italy, on Nov. 1, 2007. Kercher, 21 at the time of her death, was a British university exchange student from Coulsdon, South London. She was sexually assaulted and stabbed repeatedly, and some of her property was stolen. Kercher’s body was found on the floor of her bedroom, with blood in various locations around the room. There were three cuts on her neck as well as bruises, suggesting she might have been strangled. There were also signs of sexual assault. The coroner determined the cause of death was a combination of blood loss and suffocation.


On the evening of Nov. 1, 2007, Kercher had been dining with 3 other English women at one of their homes. Kercher said that she felt tired and that she wanted to retire early for the night, and left to walk home with a friend. She walked most of the way home with her friend but the last 500 yards she walked alone.


Knox was expecting to work at Le Chic pub that night, but her employer, Patrick Lumumba, sent her a text message stating that she was not required because business was slow. What exactly happened is still a bit of a mystery.


Originally Knox, Guede, and Sollectio were interrogated and denied basic human rights. Knox claimed that she was forced to give a statement and accuse someone before she would have access to food and water. She was interrogated for 14 hours before she accused her boss, Patrick Lumumba. Knox was later arrested on Nov. 6, 2007.


The DNA evidence that was originally found at the crime scene was used to convict the 3 suspects. The interrogation and the DNA evidence were found inconclusive in the appeal. Guede’s conviction was upheld, and he is now serving a reduced sentence of 16 years.