Home Section C - Entertainment Dr. Who

Dr. Who

62
0

Emily Erwin

Fellow Whovians, we’ve known this day was coming. We’ve been trying to deny it for a long time, but last Saturday’s episode forced us to accept the facts. Rory and Amy are no longer the Doctor’s companions.

As per most of my articles, spoilers will be abundant in this review. Read at your own expense.

Last Saturday, the final episode in the fall season of “Doctor Who” premiered on BBC and BBC America. Since the episode is called “The Angels Take Manhattan”, I probably don’t need to mention where it takes place. If you’ve been on Tumblr, you’ve seen pictures of the Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel.

Yeah, that actually happened. You might not want to watch this episode in the dark, either. Just a warning.

Many fans will tell you that it was an awful episode mainly because Rory and Amy died, but I disagree. The scripting was fantastic, especially at the very end when Amy says her last goodbye to the Doctor and when River and the Doctor are having an intimate moment on the staircase. The best moment of scripting for me by far was when Rory was about to jump off of the roof when Amy climbs up with him. It was written so that Rory’s desperation for everything to be over was obvious to the viewers, as was Amy’s devotion to Rory. There have been times where I seriously wondered just how much Rory was to Amy and this episode proved to me that she loved him so much that she was willing to jump off of a building so she wouldn’t have to live without him.

Writer Steven Moffat definitely had the creepy factor working in this episode. It’s always been hinted that the statues of the weeping angels might not be the only statues that can move. This is obvious from the last bit in “Blink” from series three. This episode confirmed that any statue can move, as proven when Rory is walking back from picking up coffee for Amy and River and he is taken by the statues of the children.

What really made the episode for me was at the very end. Rory and Amy think that they’ve avoided the paradox and have returned to normal time when guess what? A Weeping Angel shows up. Naturally, it wants Rory, as it has for a good portion of the episode. Just when everything seems fine, a Weeping Angel shows up and zaps Rory back into the past. The paradox has failed and the Weeping Angel wants Amy, too. She knows that she can’t escape it and despite the Doctor’s pleas to go back into the TARDIS, she blinks and allows the Weeping Angel to take her back to the past so that she could be with Rory again. Just seeing how distraught the Doctor is to lose Rory and Amy is almost unbearable to watch.

What was even worse was that the Doctor was calling Amy by saying, “come along, Pond” when he was trying to convince her to go back into the TARDIS. That has always been the Doctor’s phrase when talking to Amy. To hear him say that to her showed me how desperate he was to get her to go back with him and how much he cared about her.

By the way, this is where you’re going to want tissues. Trust me. I don’t normally get too horribly emotional over things like this, but “Doctor Who” somehow has a way of making me cry every other episode and this episode was no exception.

While this is the end of the fall season, there is the normal Christmas special to look forward to. After that, we have the spring half of the series to become adjusted to the Doctor’s new companion. I have a feeling that after the Ponds, many fans are going to dislike the new companion, but I’m interested to see what the writers do. Until then, I think I’ll just go curl up in a corner with a cup of tea and rewatch all of the episodes with Rory and Amy.