Home Section A - News Maroon Focus Student Spotlight

Student Spotlight

53
0

Student Spotlight
Sarah Whitten

Roanoke College Sophomore Matthew Othus has officially taken over as Editor and Chief of the Brackety-Ack. A Biology Major from Portland, Oregon, Othus has been working for the student newspaper since his freshman year and even took the post of Chief Copy Editor last semester. Matt will hold his new position as Editor in Chief from January until December of 2013 with the potential for a second term in 2014. He has plans to revitalize the paper by adding new employment opportunities for Roanoke College students as staff members, editors, photographers, cartoonists, and advertisement team members.

Changes are also on the way for the distribution of the paper. Starting next semester, the Brackety-Ack will be printed earlier in the week and will be more widely available on campus and online. Matt seeks to incorporate more relevant stories to our campus community and to bring more of the student voice to the paper.

As previous Editor in Chief of this paper, I wish to extend my congratulations to Matt. He has worked very hard as a staff writer and copy-editor for me over the past two years and I am so proud of him for being selected as my successor. Not only is he a talented writer, he is a hard-worker and a team player. He is the kind of guy that will stay an extra three hours until four in the morning to help you layout pages or write an article at the last minute because there is a quarter page that needs to be filled.

I have no doubt that the paper is in good hands with Matt. Congratulations and good luck!

Previous article“The Hobbit”
Next articleClub Spotlight