Dear Sue

My roommate got a new job, so he has to be up early in the morning before I have to get up for classes. He texted me yesterday saying, unless I stop being loud and waking him up in the middle of the night that he’ll make a lot of noise and wake me up in the morning. I wasn’t even making noise at night. What do I do about him?

-Innocent roommate

Dear Innocent,

It’s good that he has a job, but that is really passive aggressive of him. If you wanted to return the favor, buy him a box of ear plugs from CVS and leave a note saying “you’re welcome”. Of course, that wouldn’t really solve the problem; it would only make it worse and cause further problems for the rest of the year.

The best thing to do would be to actually talk to him. Tell him you’re not the one making noise at night. It may be other people in the dorm or in the hallway making the noise, and he shouldn’t blame them on you. If he takes it out on you, he’s not accomplishing anything. Hopefully you’re a heavy sleeper if he does decide to make a lot of noise in the morning; maybe you could use the ear plugs.

If he continues being a jerk about it there’s nothing you can really do about it. You can’t change rooms anymore; you’ll just have to ride it out until the end of the semester.

~Sue Z. Maroon