Home Section B - Sports Men’s Lacrosse

Men’s Lacrosse


After starting the season 1-2, with disappointing losses to Mary Washington and Dickinson, the Maroons have responded winning nine of their last ten games. Maroons were disappointed, it was the first time the Lacrosse team had a losing record since 2008 and the first time being ranked outside the top-20 since the same year.

With four top-10 teams left to play on the schedule, something had to change. After an embarrassing loss to Salisbury on St. Patrick’s Day, the Maroons were scrambling to salvage their season. Three wins followed against weak opponents in Whittier, Virginia Wesleyan, and Randolph-Macon. In these games they outscored their opponents 50-21.

With a four-game week approaching, the Maroon’s had to be focused and persistent. They took flight rather easily with a 22-5 win over Shenandoah in front of a “blacked-out” crowd. The Maroons showed off their depth as eight different players scored their first eight goals. Freshmen Tyler McWilliams and Nick Wolf both lead the team with three goals each, and freshman Joey Dishaw lead the team with three assists.

The Maroons next match was a heated rivalry match against Lynchburg. With a win, the Maroons would become the only undefeated team in ODAC play. The first quarter ended with Roanoke leading 3-1, but Lynchburg quickly reclaimed the lead in the second with four goals. Connor Dubois, Tyler McWilliams, and Will Pilat all found the net late in the first half to enter the locker-room at halftime with an 8-6 lead.

The Hornets managed to come within one on an extra-man opportunity and then evened the score. With a minute left in the third quarter, Spencer Parsons put a shot by the Lynchburg goalie to grab the 9-8 lead. It was Parson’s third goal of the game, who earned ODAC Player of the Week honors.

With a one-goal lead, the fourth quarter responsibility fell on the defense. Charlie Pease refused to allow Lynchburg to even the score, making four of his fourteen saves in the fourth quarter. The win was one of Pease’s best performances of his career.

Coming off a huge win against #5 Lynchburg, the Maroon’s looked to beat yet another top-5 team in Stevenson.

Stevenson maintained the lead for most of the game, the largest of which being by three goals. After playing from behind for three quarters, the Maroons started off an eventful fourth quarter with a game-tying goal by Mike Hayden. Spencer Parsons would waste time grabbing the lead.

With little under four minutes remaining in the game, Coach Bill Pilat took a timeout to try and spark a comeback within his Maroons. Richard Lachlan emerged as the clutch player of the night when he scored to tie it up at thirteen with one minute remaining. Regulation ended and the Maroons prepared for yet another overtime matchup with the Stevenson Mustangs.

At the beginning of the overtime period, Stevenson won possession. However, Brayden Gerrie causes a timely turnover. Joey Dishaw showed his usefulness on all sides of the field and from behind the net, found Richard Lachlan for a point-blank game-winning goal.

The win was the Maroons second amongst top-5 teams in as little as a week and solidifies them as the front-runner in the ODAC. The Maroons finish the season with games against Hampton-Sydney, Guilford, and #8 Washington and Lee.

Previous articleSGA Tailgate & Lacrosse
Next articleSoftball