Study Abroad by Nicholas Applequist

Ever Wanted to Study Abroad?

Nicholas Applequist

Hello, I’m Nicholas and, throughout the next semester, I’ll be writing articles on things that are important when considering studying abroad, as well as experiences that hopefully give you some insight on what it’s really like to study abroad. Currently I am abroad at Regent’s University, London. There were a lot of things that I would have liked to know before I went abroad, and hopefully this will help enlighten you. So I’m doing this all in hopes that you are fully prepared and excited to study abroad!

If you are interested in my personal experiences and travels, follow my blog (http://overlookedplaces.tumblr.com). I will try to keep these articles separate, so that you can find more informative info here and the more personal experiences on the blog.

What is the first and most important thing to do if you want to study abroad? START NOW! It’s never too early to talk with your parents and friends to see what they think about it and what advice they have. You are going to need your parents’ permission to study abroad, so why not bring it up sooner rather than later? They might even help pay for some of the expenses if you warm them up to it. Also, the sooner you apply, the more likely there will be some sort of scholarship or financial aid for you.

Another good reason to start now is that it gives you plenty of time to find a college you like. Or, you can change schools if something happens – like if you find another one. I personally started my study aboard experience thinking I wanted to go to Sweden, but after looking at the cost, classes, culture, and overall experience I decided that London was a better match for me. This may not be what happens to you, but why not start now and allow time for change?

When starting this process of talking with your parents, my advice to you is start early, highlight the reasons you want to go, ensure you will get credit for it, and tell them you will call them at least once a week. All these things will help break down your parents’ concerns so that they can have a real conversation with you on whether or not study abroad is right for you.

I’ll be back next issue of Brackety-Ack with insider info on how the process really works to get everything ready to study abroad. If you have anything you want to see covered in future articles, please feel free to contact me at ncapelquist@mail.roanoke.edu.