Dear Sue

I’ve noticed over the past few months I’ve put on a few pounds. I’ve been the same weight since my sophomore year of high school and, I’ll admit, I’m a little afraid of the freshman fifteen. I’m not sure why I’ve been putting on weight or how to deal with it. Any suggestions?

Love Handles

Dear Love Handles,

I’m sure you’ve heard everyone say that putting on a few pounds in college is normal, and it is. You probably have a different eating habit than you had back home. Plus, college is stressful; anxiety and depression can cause weight gain too, especially if you’re worried about classes or miss home.

A simple way to combat that is simply to try changing your eating habits here at school. Keep less junk food in your room to snack on, take apples or bananas as your “one” carry out item instead of a dessert. In commons it’s tempting to go for more than one desert especially when they have double chocolate chip brownies and cappuccino soft serve. You don’t have to go to the extremes of dieting and not eating what you want to, but self-limitation is key.

There are also a lot of options on campus for getting back in shape. You could try out one of the club sports on campus which are just for fun, and you don’t have to be a great athlete. If you’re not a track star but you love running, you could check out Roanoke College Running Club. There are also group fitness classes like Boot Camp, instructed by Coach Sampson Monday and Wednesday mornings. If you wanted something a little less intense Yoga and Pilates are also available. Check out the Group Fitness page on the college website. If you’re more of a lone wolf work out type you can go to Belk Fitness Center.

It’s important not to worry too much about a few extra pounds. As long as you take care of your body, those pounds won’t hurt you, just avoid the common college beer and pizza diet.

~Sue Z. Maroon