Home Section D - Opinion Editor’s Opinion

Editor’s Opinion

47
0

Editor’s Opinion

Matthew Othus

The WRKE radio station has begun branching out this semester and has grown in popularity since it started expanding and promoting their music at various sports tailgates and open-mic nights.

One of the biggest reasons I started listening to the radio station was the startup of late night music on the back quad. In case you didn’t already know, WRKE was playing music through the nighttime that was broadcast, outside, to a small section of the back quad.

Recently however, Campus Safety and even the Salem Police Department have gotten involved, shutting down WRKE’s speakers and leaving the back quad more silent than a summer night.

Why? Supposedly, it is a violation of the Salem Town Ordinance to have music playing too late into the night. My only question is: who exactly is it bothering?

The past evening, I went onto the back quad and was greeted by the graceful sounds of Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield.” This song has got to be one of my favorite songs from the 80’s, and what better genre is there to brighten your night?

As the music played, I stepped around the corner of Colket Center. “We are Strong” blared, but as I turned the corner, I had trouble hearing the verses afterwards. To test the range of the music, I decided to walk both towards Olin, and then Towards trout, just to indulge my curiosity as to the range of the music.

The range is virtually nothing. You can hear a faint murmur of sound about 30 yards or so away, but it’s nothing compared to the sound of many noises within the area at the time. One car honked their horn for a good 10 seconds, trying to signal someone to come outside, and that was more noticeable than the music.

So who exactly is the music bothering? Every person I have talked to who has walked by the Colket Center late at night says they love the musical atmosphere it provides. It’s awesome to hear 80’s hits as you become so tired; all you can think about is your bed.

Ultimately, I don’t expect WRKE to be able to broadcast their music to the back quad anymore, which is a shame. However, I am curious as to your thoughts on the matter. Did you like the late night music? Did it bother you? Why? Write to us anything you wish to respond with, and it might even get published in next week’s Brackety-Ack. Send all e-mails to myself at meothus@mail.roanoke.edu.