Dear Sue: “Stressed and Concerned”

Midterms are approaching fast and I feel like this semester has flown by. This is my second semester at Roanoke and last semester my midterms were really stressful. I feel the stress creeping in again and I don’t want to be stuck in another stressful situation that will hinder my midterm grades. I’m really trying to keep my grades up. Do you have any tips or advice for my situation?

Stressed and concerned

Dear Stressed,

First of all, take a deep breath and relax! Since midterms are inevitable, it is never too early to start preparing. Try to get ahead and start early; remember, the more time you use to prepare, the less you will need to cram, and the more confident you will feel.  Part of preparing is getting a plan in motion. Think about what you need to do to study, what kind of environment you need, what your distractions are, and what you need to accomplish. Based on your study needs, write out a plan and stick to it! Next, outline what you need to know for each midterm, go over what you need to work on and what you feel confident on. Most importantly, do not be afraid to ask for help. Most professors are more than happy to help students, so take advantage of this. Who knows how to help you better than the people giving the exam! And, do not forget about Subject Tutoring! They are always there to help, whether you need clarification on a certain topic or if you just want to review. Once you know what you need to study, how it is best for you to study, and realize you have plenty of time and resources, your stress levels will go down and you can go into your midterms with confidence. Good Luck, and don’t forget to breathe!