Home Announcements Student Spotlight: Kris Halverson, “Does This Woman Have a Name?”

Student Spotlight: Kris Halverson, “Does This Woman Have a Name?”

11
0

Halverson 2A Roanoke College senior is directing a one-act play, being performed tonight and tomorrow at 7 pm in the Studio Theater. Kris Halverson, the director of the one-act play, “Does This Woman Have a Name?” is earning her degree in Theater and a concentration in Performance and Design.

Q: What is the play about?

A: The play “focuses around Mel, a writer who can’t publish stories and her friend Sarah who is a struggling actress and they are low on cash, and they decide to open a phone sex hotline. Jon, Mel’s rich lawyer boyfriend, is less than happy about it. It was the funniest play I’ve ever read.”

Q: What made you choose this play?

A: “I chose this play for my senior project because it is definitely out of the norm. It follows two women in their attempt to beat men in the everlasting battle of the sexes. It’s funny, realistic, awkward, and will always keep you guessing.”

Q: Who is in your cast?

A: “Sarah is played by Kat Binney, Jon is played by Josh Storo, and Mel is played by Megan Kraus. I would also like to add my stage manager, Shae Kleinschmidt. I could not have done this without her.”

Q: How has Shae been such a help to you?

A: “Stage manager to Director is like First Mate to Captain. Shae has been a huge help to me. She’s at every rehearsal taking notes right alongside me, keeping up the moral of the actors, and making sure that I don’t go crazy. This production I’m putting on is an honors project, so most of the work I have to do alone, but having her help out with what she can….it’s been such a nice thing.”

Q: What was your casting process?

A: “Auditions for me was one of the most exciting (yet scary) parts of the production. I had an amazing turnout- so many wonderful and talented actors came to read. In the end, however, I made a choice of actors who work very well together. I couldn’t be happier.”

Q: Thus far, what has been your experience in directing this play?

A: “Directing is something I’ve always wanted to do, but never knew what it really entailed. After doing this production, I am still 100% sure this is what I want to do. It’s hectic, stressful, and terrifying, but honestly, I wouldn’t have had it any other way.”

Q: You’re a theater major, what are you planning to do with that?

A: “Hopefully grad school and get my MFA in Film. I want to be a director and a filmmaker/director.”

Q: So, where do you see yourself 20 years from now?

A: “Winning the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Director because you can’t have one without the other.”

Halverson’s play is tonight and tomorrow from 7 to 7:45 pm in the Studio Theater on the bottom floor of Olin Hall. Admission is free for the Roanoke College community.