Market Street Complex Dedicated to Robert E. and Mary J. Wortmann
Thursday afternoon at 12:45, the Market Street Complex dorms were rechristened the Robert E. and Mary J. Wortmann Complex dorms in honor of a very special couple. The Brackety-Ack as well as WDBJ7 covered the event.
Robert and Mary Wortmann reside in New Jersey but they can often be seen in other places, involved in events in the Roanoke College community, such as alumni chapter events even as far away as North Carolina. Robert is a member of the Class of 1960 and since then, he has not stopped being completely dedicated to the college. He served on the Board of Trustees for 22 years and he was also head of the board from 2003 to 2011. During his time as the director of the board, Roanoke College saw many changes for the better, especially as far as renovations to the campus; for example residence halls. Under Robert’s direction, more than 600 bed spaces were created, Kerr stadium was built, the Peery Drive entrance to the school was made, and several academic building were renovated.
“Also during that time, Roanoke’s faculty introduced an innovative new academic core curriculum, called Intellectual Inquiry. Roanoke also was honored as the 2009 Campus Activities Magazine “Campus of the Year,” was recognized as a national up-and-comer in U.S. News & World Report’s Best College Rankings for 2011 and debuted in The Princeton Review’s “Best 376 Colleges: 2012 Edition,” released in 2011.” (Roanoke Website)
Even though Mary Wortmann did not attend Roanoke College, she has been just as involved in the college’s affairs as her husband.
Because of both of the Wortmann’s dedication, they have become members of the Lifetime Distinguished Associates of Roanoke College and are also longtime members of the College’s Society of 1842.
The weather was beautiful and there was a great turn-out, making the dedication an overall success.