Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Infected Ian”

Dear Sue: “Infected Ian”

6
0

I just went to a health clinic and got diagnosed with gonorrhea. I didn’t know who I could tell because I’m not exactly proud of it. I have several frequent sexual partners, and I’ve hooked up with some frat guys recently. I know I should tell them, but I don’t want things to be awkward. I know they’ll find out eventually from the burning sensation. What should I do?

Infected Ian

Dear Infected Ian

Unfortunately this is not something you can hide for long, and eventually you will not be the only person with a problem.  The best thing to do to avoid future problems would be to tell anyone who could possibly be infected.  This is easier said than done, but it is important.  This problem does not only affect you, but possibly any of your sexual partners as well.  There is not really a way to avoid the awkward part of the conversation, but with the way society is structured, anything involving sex is awkward (sorry).  It would probably only be even more awkward when someone comes up to you and asks if you are also infected.  Having an honest face-to-face conversation is really the only way to go.  The people may even be mad when you tell them, but honesty will also allow them to get checked out before anything goes wrong.   Good luck and remember that it is better to tell your sexual partners than have an even more awkward confrontation.

Sue