Dear Sue: “Worried Wyatt”

As this school year progresses, I’m being assigned more and more papers and projects. I have a group project coming up, and everyone is working together great, except one member. We have tried everything we can think of to make the situation better with this one group member, but they don’t seem to be getting the message. I am really starting to stress out and I don’t know what to do!

Worried Wyatt

Dear Worried,

Group projects can be stressful, especially with so many other events and assignments starting to pop up. It is important to remember that at the end of the day, there is only so much in your control. That being said, I think it’s time you utilized your resources. Most professors have two grades for group project: an individual grade and a group grade. It is important to make your professor aware of the situation early on so that they are aware of the situation and maybe even try to help. Another option is for your group to have a back-up plan. If your group member is not reliable, have a fast alternative that you guys can work on in short notice to add to your project if needed. It is also important to communicate. Try talking to that group member and explain why you are stressed. Even if your group member is not receptive to what you say, still include them in group e-mails and texts; that way, they always have the opportunity to step up, and they always know what they are responsible for. Best of luck on your project!

Sue