Home Section D - Opinion The Sexperts Discuss Aphrodisiacs

The Sexperts Discuss Aphrodisiacs

144
0
Photo Courtesy of Google Images
Photo Courtesy of Google Images

I don’t know about you, but nothing gets me in the mood like slurping on something moist, slippery, and salty. That’s right folks! I’m talking about some delicious oysters. The concept of aphrodisiacs has been around for centuries and permeates many cultures. The list ranges from a box of chocolates to the odd, such as rhinoceros horn, and even the downright disturbing, such as eating a tiger penis. Aphrodisiacs are believed to increase sexual desire and pleasure in those who consume them. But the important question is, are their effects real, or will nibbling on some deer antlers leave you with more broken teeth than broken hearts you leave behind?

There are certain foods that have been proven to increase libido and sexual desire. Spicy foods may spice up your love life due to capsaicin that creates a response in the body similar to that during sex, such as increased heart rate. Okra is another food that may raise your “oak-ra”. Actually, Okra contains many minerals that increase genital health leading to a better sex life. There are also aphrodisiacs that I wouldn’t even think about putting in my mouth- and that’s saying something. Spanish fly, or cantharides comes from dried beetle dung and is also thought to augment sexual desire. However, it actually irritates the urogenital tract, which causes increased blood flow to the pelvic area, simulating arousal. The worst part is that Spanish fly is actually a toxin that burns the mouth and throat, scarring of the urethra, and occasionally death. It might just be me, but having my urethra scarred doesn’t sound sexy.

Not every mainstream aphrodisiac is actually proven to help with sex drive. Some increases in libido are attributed to the placebo effect; however, there are some foods that can actually enhance sexual desire. And if you’re looking for a little something extra in the bedroom, eating an aphrodisiac may help you to ramp up your sexual prowess. Whether you choose to eat Horny Goat Weed or simply some watermelon, the effects will make you just as horny as the Goat Weed.

Position of the Week: The Sloppy Slurp