Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Jake who makes his life hard”

Dear Sue: “Jake who makes his life hard”

116
0
Photo Courtesy of Google Images
Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Class registration is coming up and, although this may sound odd, I don’t think I have enough classes to take. I can only seem to fit three into my schedule, but I’m used to taking 5 classes. I have more required classes I need to take but everything conflicts for my major and minor and I can’t make anything fit. Should I pick up a concentration or something to fill my time?

Jake who makes his life hard

Dear Jake (who makes his life hard),

You really seem to have a problem on your hands. Luckily, you have until March 23 (or later, depending on your time slot) to figure this out, and you also have access to academic advisors. But since you asked, I’ll take a stab at answering your concerns. Most students on this campus would love to only have to take 3 classes a semester, however I feel your concern as I also take 5+ classes a semester (sometimes with labs…eek). It can be unsettling to go from a large class load to a small one, but if you can still make the rest of your classes fit in the time you have left at Roanoke, then why not take an “easy” semester? Your stress level will go down and you will have time to enjoy the little things and the college life. Don’t stress too much over this.

There’s not much you can do about fitting classes into your schedule. It is a common problem at this college that disciplines only offer certain classes once a year and in one block that may overlap with other requirements.

It is worth a shot to email the department heads and see if they plan to open any more sections, but do not hold your breath for that. The best thing here is to sit down with your advisors and plan it out. Make your concerns known, and I’m sure you will be able to fit everything in eventually. I also wouldn’t recommend picking up a concentration just to fill time. If you want to pick up a concentration because it is something you are interested in, you should.  It is very doable, but do not add a concentration just to have classes to take this upcoming semester. Take the small class load and enjoy your semester. Wait it out, and who knows, maybe you’ll have five to six classes to take the following semester and then you’ll be happy you had a light semester!

Best of Luck,