From One Virgin to Another: A Student Speaks Out

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

By Anonymous

When I was in high school, I used to think that people who waited to have sex until they were married were probably ugly and couldn’t get someone to have sex with them. Then I got to college and realized something: I wanted to wait until I was married. I met some people who said they were waiting too and that made me happy. We were all friends who just happened to want to wait until marriage to have sex. Then, one by one by one, they had sex.

It is now junior year and it’s just me, still waiting…or at least that’s what it feels like. I don’t have a problem with that, but I can tell you that sometimes I feel lonely and like I am the only girl in the world waiting. I feel like guys won’t want to date me because I won’t “fulfill their physical needs”. At the same time, they aren’t really “needs,” are they? If a guy has at least one hand, he can take care of himself.

I’ve never had a boyfriend and I’ve only had a thing with a guy once. It worked fine, up until he wanted sex…which I wouldn’t give him. He tried to persuade me and tell me how “great” it is. And I believe him! I am sure sex is great! I’m not saying it’s not. I’m just waiting until I’m married to have sex with the guy I will spend the rest of my life with.

Now, I don’t think I am better than anyone for choosing to wait. I respect people no matter what they decide to do. I have friends who sleep with a new guy every week, and I also have friends who’ve slept with one guy. I don’t judge people and their decisions; I am hardest on myself. My main point is: I just want you to know that if you are choosing to wait, you are not alone. You are a small percentage, but you are not alone.

Yours Truly,

A Virgin