Home Section B - Sports Field Hockey Drops Two Straight

Field Hockey Drops Two Straight

Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics
Photo Courtesy of Maroon Athletics



After rallying to beat Rhodes College in overtime, the women’s field hockey team lost their next two games. Both matches were crucial Old Dominion Athletic Conference games, the first against Shenandoah University and then versus Washington and Lee. The Maroon’s field hockey team is now 5-5 overall and a disappointing 0-4 in ODAC.

On Oct. 3 Roanoke lost 3-2 to the Shenandoah Hornets in overtime at home. The match started out aggressively for both teams with each recording a shot and a foul. Six and a half minutes into the match, Shenandoah scored the first goal, taking the early lead. The Maroons then had several shots on goal but were unable to find the net. Finally, at 32:28 Emily McQueen scored off an assist from Shelbi Holloman. At the end of the period, the score was tied 1-1.

The Maroons carried their late momentum into the second period. In just over two minutes, Roanoke found the back of the net for the second time in the match. Holloman again had the assist, with Megan Diehl finishing her pass for the score, giving the Maroons a 2-1 lead. There weren’t a lot of shots by either team for the remainder of the period, with the Hornets narrowly edging out the Maroons 3-2.

In the final minutes of the game, it looked as if the Maroons were going to get their first ODAC win of the season. However, with less thirty seconds left in the game, Shenandoah made one final push and managed to scored, tying the game 2-2. Neither team was able to make a play after the score, sending the game into overtime.

Overtime was disappointingly one-sided. Shenandoah came out strong with a shot on goal after just one minute, but was saved by goalie Heather Schauder. Unfortunately, Schauder was unable to stop the Hornets’ second offensive strike, and Shenandoah managed to score at the 2:39 in overtime. This goal ended the game 3-2.

Schauder spent the entire game in the net for the Maroons allowing three goals with four saves. Holloman led the team with four shots, two on goal, and two assists. McQueen and Diehl each had one goal. This was a hard loss for the team coming off a big victory the previous weekend.

Looking to turn things around, the Maroons traveled to Lexington on Wednesday to square off against the Washington and Lee Generals. Disappointingly, the Maroons turned in another poor performance and were shut out in a 2-0 loss.

Both teams struggled to get their offense going. About fourteen minutes into the game, Washington and Lee recorded the first shot, wide of the net. The first period only saw three shots by Roanoke, none of which were converted into points. With less than a minute left in the first period, the Generals scored their first goal, giving them a 1-0 going into the second period.

The Generals came out strong in the second period, overrunning the Maroons with back-to-back shots on their way to recording seven shots in seven minutes. They controlled possession of the ball until they scored their second, and final, goal about twelve minutes into the period.

Roanoke managed to get their offense going in the second half of the period. They had three shots, but were again unable to score. In the last five minutes, the Generals tried to increase their margin of victory with two well-placed shots, but Schauder was able to block both of them.

Schauder had another tough night in the goal. She was able to make seven saves, but allowed two goals. Because of the teams struggle on offense, Roanoke came home with their second straight ODAC loss.

Hopefully, the Maroons will be able to turn it around when they head to Sweet Briar College this Friday. The Vixens have yet to win a game this year, losing their most recent game 7-0. Cheer Roanoke on as they try to turn their season back around in this ODAC matchup.