Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue: “Terrified Turkey”

Dear Sue: “Terrified Turkey”

14
0

I’m really nervous about seeing my friends from home over Thanksgiving. A lot of us have drifted apart during our first semester at school, and I’m afraid that we won’t have anything to talk about. Just from what I’ve seen on Facebook, it looks like a lot of people have changed and it will be weird to try to act like nothing has. Is it possible to keep being friends with people from high school after you’ve been apart for so long? How can I even try to get my friends all in the same place again when it’s been a while since any of us have even reached out to each other? Please advise.

Terrified Turkey

z

Dear Terrified Turkey,

Everyone has similar thoughts about going home for Thanksgiving. It might be especially weird for friends at different schools where they don’t have a fall break because this could very well be their first time home since school started. The most important thing to remember is that no matter how much it may look like people changed on Facebook, you will never really know until you see them again in person. That being said, don’t dismiss long-time friends over some ill-advised photos. It can be tough to reach out to people you haven’t seen in a while, but someone always has to make the first move. Sending out a group message is always a good idea to make sure everyone is on the same page. If you’re really worried you won’t have anything to talk about, try going out and doing something like ice-skating, bowling, or seeing a movie. That way, what you’re doing will lend itself to conversation and can help you all break the ice. More often than not, people are really excited to share their stories about their first semester and you might find that continuing the conversation is not the problem. It is true that friends start to drift during college, but when you put in the effort to see each other when you are home, you’ll find that it becomes easier to pick up where you left off.

I hope that helps, and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving break.