Home Section D - Opinion Book Review: “Bossypants”

Book Review: “Bossypants”

90
0
Photo Courtesy of Google Images
Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Recently, I have found myself buying a lot of memoirs from comedians. I’m not sure why, but maybe it is because they seem to be the type of celebrity I can most easily relate to-and Tina Fey is no exception.

I read Bossypants in two days by  the light of a lamp late at night. The book was something that made me laugh as well making me come to realizations as it was related to my life. Here was the story of a woman who started out being awkward and with bushy eyebrows just like me! Tina Fey tells stories from her life that would be embarrassing for anyone else to write. That may be just what makes this book so special, though, because, despite all of the fame and success she has gained, Fey still remembers that it’s okay to make mistakes and that it’s entirely normal to feel weird.

In one of the stories, Fey writes about exactly how she first landed a job on SNL back in the nineties. Now, in an attempt for total honesty, I have to admit that I have watched SNL maybe twice in my life. That being said, however, I now know more about it than most of its viewers simply from this book. One of the best parts about reading descriptions of SNL from behind the scenes is realizing how much you have in common with these comedians. They’re weird and loud just like us, only they make a living out of it.

An aspect that I really enjoyed about this book, though, was learning about how strong Tina Fey is as a woman. In her stories, she finds exactly who she is and she sticks to it. No matter how tough the situation, she finds joy in humoring herself and I think that is a beautiful quality. She also is such an amazing role model because she is true to herself and so humble. While reading this book, I noticed that I don’t think Tina Fey quite realizes how famous and amazing she is. Like, she has literally no idea. And that, my friends, is what makes her one dope boss.